This article is a direct response to a site visitor who wrote to us, saying he was overwhelmed with information and just needed to know where to start. He wanted progress, and he didn't want to wait until he'd read all the articles to make it. His goal was to lose excess fat.
If you want a great-looking body, there are some simple concepts to follow. There isn't an optimum plan that works for everybody. A lot of folks are peddling dumb advice and worthless products, while claiming to have the magic bullet. Mostly, they are shooting their followers in the head with it....
1. Decide on your direction. First, decide if you want to get more muscle or less fat. If you're really out of shape, you can do both at the same time. But once you address the fundamentals, it's either/or.
2. Losing fat is a matter of calories in vs. calories out.
3. You burn more calories with weightlifting than with aerobics. Reason #1: Muscle burns calories 24x7. Reason #2: Intense exercise results in long-lasting additional calorie burn--up to 72 hours.
4. Eat nutrient-dense foods. Focus on greens, not grains. Get a variety of colors of fruits and vegetables.
5. Avoid calorie-dense foods. This means no refined carbs (avoid flour products, as well as the obvious sugars).
6. Six small meals a day.
7. Exercise with intensity. To do that, you must focus on one muscle group per workout. Less volume means more results. Ideally, you'll work out five or six days a week--but only one muscle group each time.
8. Get your rest. This means several days between working out a particular muscle group.
9. Do front squats, good mornings, or deadlifts twice a month. No more, no less. Each of these is a huge testosterone booster. Each is also going to drain you. Do them right, and twice a month is optimum. If you want some coaching on this, I provide that at no charge via phone to supplement customers. Just reply to your order confirmation e-mail that you'd like some coaching and give some pertinent details.
10. Set aside time each day to read one article on this site. It'll take you many days to finish, but when you're done you will have learned a great deal. And it's best to learn in small chunks.
|Resources for Fitness|
|Fitness quick links:|
The articles on this site are authoritative, because:
Where an article is not bylined with a specific author's name, it was written by Mark Lamendola (see photos on home page and elsewhere on this site). Mark is a 4th degree blackbelt, has not been sick since 1971, and has not missed a workout since 1977. Just an example of how Mark knows what he's talking about: In his early 50s, Mark demonstrated a biceps curl using half his body weight. That's a Jack LaLanne level stunt. Few people can even come close. If you want to know how to build a strong, beautiful body, read the articles here.
is a subsidiary of Mindconnection.com. When you follow the links from this
site to the purchase area, you will go to Mindconnection's secure server.|
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please view theaboutus pages, or write to mark @ mindconnection.com. We do want your business.