Recipe Connection: Cajun chicken breast
Main recipe page
- 4 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- 1/4 cup soy, flax, or amaranth flour
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon red or black pepper (ground)
- 1 tablespoon gumbo filé powder
- 2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 can stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (about 12 oz.) chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, as desired
- Rinse chicken with cold water and pat dry with
paper towels. Slice off extra fat.
- Combine flour and dry seasonings in bowl.
- Rub light coating of into chicken.
- Roll chicken, 1 piece at a time, in dry mix
until well-coated. Keep any remaining mix for later.
- Place chicken pieces in Corning wear dish or
equivalent, and microwave on high for 10 minutes. Let it sit,
covered, when done.
- While chicken is sitting, sauté onion, celery
and garlic in oil.
- Add remaining dry mix to the sauté; stir until
- Add stewed tomatoes, broth, green pepper, bay
leaf and hot sauce to sauté and bring to a boil.
- Add chicken to the sauté, cover and simmer
over low heat 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat; discard bay leaf.
- 6 servings
- 300 calories
- 20 grams of protein
- 8 grams of fat
- 29 grams of carbo
- 49 mg of sodium
For better glycemic performance of this meal, use whole-grain rice and
individual spices, instead of the packaged mix.
If your interest in these healthy, tasty recipes
has anything to do with fitness, take advantage of the free articles and
discount athletic nutritional supplements you can access from the menu at
Main recipe page